Established in 1951 as a not-for-profit trade organization dedicated to the preservation of the use of wood as a building material, Woodwork Institute has grown into a national organization whose primary purpose is to ensure excellence and craftsmanship in woodwork.
As the Institute has grown, so too has its quality control programs. As a means of establishing quality control, WI has collaborated with the Architectural Woodwork Manufacturers Association of Canada on the North American Architectural Woodwork Standards. This book is the essence of building and installing quality products.
Unique to WI are its certification programs:
WI also provides other services:
- Independent Inspection Services
- Expert Witness Services
- Site Compliance Inspection Services
To promote to the architectural design community, its suppliers and contractors, the development and dissemination of information relative to uses, advantages, and utility of millwork products.
To be the premier, industry-driven, equal opportunity, nonprofit trade association resource provider for our industry.
The Woodwork Institute created quality assurance programs to help maintain a superb level of quality from members of the architectural millwork industry. WI’s partnership with the design community, the contractors, the project managers and the installers/fabricators assure us that projects will conform to the North American Architectural Woodwork Standards.
- Develop and disseminate information relative to the uses, advantages and functional utility of wood products in all types of building construction.
- Carry out a sound promotional plan, the effects of which will increase public acceptance and greater use of wood products.
- Provide a well defined and legally constituted unit, whereby the collective action of its affiliates may be obtained and registered.
- Foster good methods and ethical practices within the trade.
- Encourage peaceful and harmonious relations between its affiliates, and by interested and cooperative efforts, promote and inspire public esteem for the affiliates who deal in wood products.